Can I request tax deductions to not deduct tax from an amount and pay the whole amount to me?

Yes, if your gross income is well below the basic exemption limit then you can request the person who is responsible for TDS, to not to deduct tax on such income. For doing the same you have to options:
1. Apply to the Assessing officer under whose jurisdiction you fall in Form 13 to get a certificate approving deduction of tax at a lower rate or NIL rate.
2. Submit a declaration in Form 15G/15H in which you declare that your income is below the basic exemption limit during the financial year and tax is required to be deducted at source. This certificate has to be submitted every year and non-submission may lead to deduction of tax. Please note that Form 15G is for individuals and Form 15H is for senior citizens.
One major difference between Form 13 and Form 15G/15H is Form 15G/15H can be issued only by individuals assesses, whereas request in Form 13 can be submitted by any person i.e. individual, partnership firm, company, etc. to the ASSESSING OFFICER to get approval for deduction of taxes at lower or NIL rate.


12) How to apply for TDS refund?

There is this major misconception that refund of excess TDS is different from income tax refund and is called as TDS refund. However, the fact is that there is only one kind of return which you claim while filing your annual income tax return. Nowadays, it is compulsory to quote bank account details such as account number and IFSC code while filing of return and non-entering of such details will not generate a valid .xml file. In case if someone has deducted more tax than he should have deducted, then income tax refund will arise which can be claimed upon the filing of your annual income tax return.
For example, you own a goods transport agency and yours is a proprietorship firm. You presented an invoice of Rs 50,000/- and the person paying freight paid you a net amount of Rs 49,000/- (after deducting tax of Rs 1,000/- @ 2% under section 194C). In this case, the deductor deducted tax @ 2% instead of 1% and hence deducted excess TDS by Rs 500/-. This excess TDS will arise as a refund in the income tax return.

Posted in News.